Sunday 7 February 2010

My Favourite Choices of Malaysia 2009 Stamp Sets

I put up a poll for Most Favourite Malaysia 2009 Stamp Sets, and the results can be viewed here. I was the person who originated the poll, therefore I did not cast my vote.

Well, I think I should voice up my own favourite stamp sets, shouldn't I? My choices of stamp sets are:
i) Unique Birds
ii) Garden Flower State Definitive MS
iii) UNESCO WHS

Bird stamps are always my favourite topic. The bird stamps from Pos Malaysia are always gorgeous, particularly those designed by Teh Yew Kiang. These unique bird stamps and miniature sheet are work of Teh Yew Kiang! The miniature sheet portrays hornbills, which is another scoring point because I just love hornbills. The hornbill species in the stamp of the miniature sheet is a plain-pouched hornbill, and this is the first time plain-pouched hornbill being depicted on Malaysia stamp! Apart from all these, the unintentional error (missing the country name Malaysia) created on the miniature sheet has made this stamp set well known throughout the world. So, this stamp set is definitely my first choice.

My second choice is Garden Flower State Definitive MS. Well, this is actually a re-issued stamp set. The original stamp set was released on December 31, 2007. Many collectors find this stamp set was unneccessary. I do agree with them. For me, however, these Garden Flower State Definitives are just too gorgeous to be resisted, and I always have deep passion on definitive stamps. The Agro-Based Product State Definitives are one of those challenging ones for many collectors. It looks like the Garden Flower State Definitives are going to be on the same path as the Agro-Based Product State Definitives - posing same challenging task for collectors. All the stamps in the Garden Flower State Definitive MS are considered new stamps for serious collectors because the gum used in these stamps (brown gum) is different from the one (green/creamy gum) in the original stamps. Furthermore, the change of ruler's portrait for Negeri Sembilan on the re-issued stamps makes a bonus point to this stamp set. Now, many serious collectors are eagerly waiting for the reprints (100-stamp-sheet) of the Garden Flower State Definitive stamps.

My third choice is UNESCO WHS stamp set. These UNESCO WHS stamps are absolutely beautiful. The bonus point is the use of UNESCO WHS logo on the stamps. It is just like the WWF stamps with WWF logo. I foresee the popularity of UNESCO WHS (with logo) stamps in future as those of the WWF stamps. I particularly like the stamp showing Mt. Kinabalu. It reminds me very much my experience of climbing the Mt. Kinabalu in April 2003..... I reached the top of the mountain..... it was a tough and joyful experience for me, and it will stay deep in my memory for the rest of my life......