Wednesday 2 June 2010

Preference of Collecting

Whenever talking about collecting stamps, many stamp collectors think that first day covers (FDCs) are nice to collect and are very much valuable compared to stamps. In other words, for them it is better to own a FDC than a set of stamps. You may notice that many stamp collectors are very proud to show off their FDCs. Some collectors even go extreme to collect all kinds of special FDCs such as stamp exhibition covers, first flight covers, joint issue covers (stamps from both the countries in a cover with special postmark) etc.

Well, I am a bit weird as I don't fancy FDCs..... to a certain extend I "hate" FDCs. I don't like special first day postmark on stamps (well, an exception for my maxicards only). I just "hate" special first day postmark on stamps. Eventhough the cover itself is a plain cover (not an official cover from postal authority), it will get into my nerve to see the stamps on the cover cancelled by special first day postmark. I do receive this type of covers from time to time from many countries, and I don't show them in my blog. Well, having said that, I do collect FDCs of Malaysia (only for Malaysia), and I only buy Malaysia FDCs from post offices not from dealers. My Malaysia FDC collection has never been complete (I have many missing ones), and I have no intention to complete it..... because I don't really fancy FDCs.

I do fancy a lot on ordinary covers with beautiful stamps. I feel good to receive a simple cover with nice stamps and clear ordinary postmark. I like only cover with stamps within the period of use. It is definitely awful to have a cover postmarked in 2010 but with stamps from 1990s or earlier.

I think I grumble alot on stamp collecting......... well, different people have different taste. I collect things that make me feel good, after all this is my own collection that I have to live with. I see my collection everyday, if I don't feel good on it then I will have sore eyes.... hehehehehehe