Saturday 29 January 2011

Stamp Storing II

I wrote some time ago about how I store my stamp collection using silica gel (click here to read the write-up). In this blog entry I share with you how I display my stamp collection and also how I keep my extra stamps, stamp sheets and covers.

I use PRINZ cardboards to create my own stamp albums. These cardboards come in different formats on the number of storing rows - from one to eight rows - catering the different sizes of stamps (or formats of stamps) that need to be displayed. I display my Malaysia stamps by year (Figure 1), and I normally put a small piece of paper next to the stamp set. The small piece of paper contains information of issue date and other neccessary notes. I am also into other stamp formats - corner block-of-6 with serial number. I display this block-of-6 stamps on 3-row PRINZ cardboard (Figure 2). Then, I place these PRINZ cardboards in a 4-ring folder binder (Figure 3).

Figure 1: stamp sets displayed by year on PRINZ cardboards


Figure 2: block-of-6 stamps displayed on PRINZ cardboards


Figure 3: A 4-ring folder binder holding up PRINZ cardboards



I also use PRINZ cardboards to store my extra loose stamp sets. For extra loose stamp sets, I stack up them so that I could save space and cardboards (Figure 4).

Figure 4: Extra loose stamp sets are stacked up on PRINZ cardboards



I also collect stamp sheets. Most Malaysia stamp sheets are too large to be stored by PRINZ cardboard. Therefore, I use different approach for storing stamp sheets. I use OPP plastic sleeves to store my stamp sheets. If the size of stamp sheet is not larger than 8 in x 12 in (the maximum size of OPP plastic sleeve I use), the stamp sheet will be store without folding. However, I do fold large stamp sheets before storing it in OPP plastic sleeve for easy handling/storing (Figure 5). I normally treat stamp sheets with silica gel (to dry the stamp sheets) before putting them in OPP plastic sleeves. Then, I place these stamp sheets in a large envelop.

Figure 5: large stamp sheets are folded once before being placed into OPP plastic sleeves



For storing my covers, I simply use OPP plastic sleeves (Figure 6). I normally dry the covers with silica gel before putting them in OPP plastic sleeves.

Figure 6: covers are protected by OPP plastic sleeves



All the above stamp albums (PRINZ cardboards), stamp sheets (in OPP plastic sleeves and large envelops) and covers (in OPP plastic sleeves) are then placed in air-tight plastic containers with the presence of silica gel (click here to see the method of storing).