Thursday 18 March 2010

This is Really Ugly.........

I have heard frequently the praise of beautiful Malaysia stamps. The praise comes from local and also overseas collectors. Well, it is undeniable that Malaysia stamps generally are beautiful in design compared to many countries. However, Pos Malaysia did produce very ugly stamps/miniature sheets! One of the stamps that I definately would vote as the ugliest stamp design ever produced by Pos Malaysia is the Beaches and Islands miniature sheet issued on July 31, 2002. It really makes my eyes sore by looking at it! The miniature sheet tries to depict two different beaches of Malaysia - Batu Ferringhi beach (in Penang) and Port Dickson beach (in Negeri Sembilan). The image of the miniature sheet looks like a kid drawing.... and if I were the art teacher for the kid (if it is a really a kid drawing), I would definitely fail the kid! I really couldn't understand how the stamp design could be approved by Pos Malaysia! The stamp design committee of Pos Malaysia must be mad!